Encoder and Decoder Tool for Evaluation of ARM Adaptive Scalable Texture Compression (ASTC)
The ASTC Evaluation Codec is a command-line executable that compresses and decompresses images using this texture compression standard.
Running on a standard PC, this tool allows content developers to evaluate the impressive quality and size benefits offered by this texture compression format, in advance of it being available in GPU hardware.
ASTC Features & Benefits
ASTC technology developed by ARM® and AMD has been adopted as an official extension to both the Open GL® and OpenGL ES graphics APIs. ASTC is a major step forward in terms of image quality, reducing memory bandwidth and thus energy use.
- Compression of PNG, TGA and KTX into ASTC format
- Control of bit rate from 0.89 bits/pixel upto 8bits/pixel in fine steps
- Control of compression time/quality tradeoff with exhaustive, thorough, medium, fast and very fast encoding speeds
- Supports both low (LDR) and high dynamic range (HDR) images
- Supports 3D texture compression
- Measure PSNR between input and output
- Decodes ASTC images to TGA or KTX
- Source code
- Full specification of the ASTC data format
- Binaries for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux (x86, 32-bit)
Please submit your questions and issues to the Mali Developer Forums